The Statewide Independent Living Council, known simply as the SILC, is a federally mandated, Governor appointed council where a majority of our members are individuals with disabilities.
Our SILC is required to:
- Develop, monitor and review a state plan, in conjunction with our State Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR), that addresses the independent needs in our state;
- Develop and support a statewide network of Independent Living Centers, called CILs;
- Submit periodic reports to OVR, as well as coordinates activities with the State Rehabilitation Council; and
- Ensure that all regularly scheduled meetings of the SILC are open to the public and provide reasonable accommodations when requested within a one week notice.
State Plan for Independent Living
Our three year State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL) is designed in partnership with the Kentucky Office of Vocational Rehabilitation; and has overarching Goals to:
- Increase awareness of Independent Living Services to stakeholders;
- Increase the effectiveness of the SILC;
- Increase access to Independent Living services for Kentuckians with Disabilities; and
- Increase advocacy activities through education of stakeholders in order to increase access and integration.
SPIL Approval Letter
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Kentucky Statewide Independent Living Council is in the process of writing their 2016 -2019 3 year plan. As part of that plan, we would like to hear from you as to what is working well for you and what is not working so well. We will use this information to formulate our upcoming plan and to help us set direction on where to use our resources. Please fill out the survey located at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SPILSurvey2019.
Important News and Events
Mike Freholm handing gavel to Benita Lind as her term as Chair came to a close
Scenes from the NCIL ADA March in Washington DC – July 2015